Are you planning to move abroad for higher studies or work? If yes, then you must have heard about the IELTS exam. International English Language Testing System is an international standardised test of English language proficiency, for non-native English language speakers. It is accepted as a proof of English language skill worldwide.
The IELTS exam is divided into two forms –
Academic Training- The Academic test is designed to assess the language abilities of students. This is for students who are planning to study at the UG or PG level in an English-speaking country.
General Training- This training is taken by those who are planning to migrate to an English-speaking country. Or those who need to prove their English language skill for work or training purposes.
The IELTS exam has four sections:
The reading and writing sections assess your ability to read and write in English. The listening and speaking sections assess your ability to understand and use spoken English. All sections are scored on a scale of 0-9, with 9 being the highest score.
Why give an IELTS exam?
The IELTS exam is considered to be one of the most reliable tests of English language proficiency. It is accepted by most universities, employers, and immigration authorities. It is also a great way to assess your English language skills. As it is designed to test all four language skills – reading, writing, listening, and speaking. So, if you are planning to move abroad for higher studies or work, the IELTS exam is a must!
Tips for studying for IELTS exam
Preparing for the IELTS exam can be a daunting task for many students. With a wide range of topics, it is no surprise that many students feel overwhelmed. The good news is that you can prepare for the IELTS exam on your own. There are a few steps you can take to give yourself the best chance of success.
Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your studying for the IELTS exam:
- Understand the structure: The structure of the IELTS exam is very important. Make sure you are familiar with the format of the exam and the types of questions that you will be asked.
- Practice: Once you have a good understanding of the structure of the exam, practice is key. You can practise with sample questions, or by taking practice tests. Make sure that you are familiar with the types of questions you will be asked and the time limit for each section.
- Study Vocabulary: Vocabulary is one of the most important aspects of the IELTS exam. To get a good score, you need to have a good knowledge of it. Brush up on your vocabulary and learn new words to ensure you are prepared.
- Use Flashcards: Flashcards are a great way to learn new words and to practise your vocabulary. Use the flashcards to help you study for the IELTS exam and to help you remember the words.
- Be Organised: Staying organised is essential when studying for the IELTS exam. Make sure that you have a plan and that you stick to it. Set goals for yourself and make sure you are focused on what you need to do to succeed.
By following these steps, you can prepare for the IELTS exam on your own. With some dedication and practice, you can achieve your desired IELTS score.
If you still find yourself struggling with any part of the IELTS exam, don’t be afraid to get help. Consider taking a class or hiring a tutor to help you prepare. iae GLOBAL India helps you achieve your dream of studying abroad. Our certified IELTS trainer can help you improve your vocabulary. So that you can give your exam with confidence and achieve a good IELTS score as well!